Careers at Calysta
Calysta is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA. The company is a leader in the development of advanced synthetic biology to create the building blocks of high value sustainable products including nutritionals, industrial materials and consumer products. We bring together capabilities in gene synthesis, computational design, and protein and pathway engineering. Join our team and build the future with us. Contact us at email@example.com.
Senior Scientist, Aquaculture
Calysta is a biotechnology company working towards a future where the world’s growing population has guaranteed food security. Calysta’s aim is to make more from less by fermenting natural gas to create new food products, creating sustainable, high value nutritional ingredients that don’t interfere with the human food chain. FeedKind is made using very little water and no agricultural land by fermenting natural gas, an abundant source of energy, to create a safe, nutritious, traceable and affordable protein.
We are looking for experienced candidates to lead the development of an aquaculture R&D strategy. FeedKind has been shown to be a safe and effective feed ingredient in multiple species worldwide. More than simply assessing its nutritional value, we expect this candidate to continue to develop and characterize value added benefits such as impacts on gut health, immune function, and/or feed quality.
Come build the future of aquaculture with Calysta.
Location: Wilton, Redcar, UK
- Guide aquaculture R&D strategy alongside region-specific Technical Directors and the broader Calysta team
- Connect commercial goals to specific research initiatives
- Develop relationships with key academics and collaborate on academic research that will further Calysta’s goals and the industry’s understanding of single cell protein generally
- Design experiments, negotiate contracts, inspect CRO facilities, and incorporate the latest technology and techniques to identify functional benefits of FeedKind in-vivo; monitor trials and intervene when necessary
- Identify and leverage in vitro models where they can contribute to FeedKind’s success in aquaculture
- Support sales and marketing by interpreting trial results and helping articulate value proposition
- Ability to grow with the company and support a broader R&D organization in the future
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in aquaculture, pathobiology, fish health, or fish nutrition
- >7 years industry experience including experience within the R&D organization of either a feed company, feed additive company, or ingredient producer
- Willingness and ability to travel globally (~20% of time) after Covid restrictions ease
- Experience across a variety of freshwater and/or marine species, experience with Litopenaeus vannamei
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams
- Prior experience running R&D programs at feed companies or feed ingredient / additive manufacturers
- Self-starter with the ability to work in an unstructured environment
- Location at our Teesside office with flexible schedule with remote working arrangements available
Reports to: Vice President Aquaculture
Analytical Research Associate/Assistant
Calysta is hiring a highly motivated Research Associate/Assistant to become a key contributor to our analytical chemistry team.
Director, Analytical Science
- Perform routine & non routine analytical chemical testing analysis using GC, GCMS, HPLC, LCMS and other analytical equipment.
- Conduct biochemical and enzymatic assay with high throughput format.
- Develop, validate and implement new and improved methods of chemical analysis.
- Data entry, process, analysis and management.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and consumable stock levels.
- Oversee the technical transfer of methods between laboratories.
- Communicate effectively with various cross-functional teams.
- Develop, write and update SOP as required.
- BS or MS in Chemistry or related subject.
- >2 years of experience working in an analytical laboratory in industry setting is preferred.
- Experience with a variety of modern analytical techniques including GC, GCMS, HPLC,
LCMS, and UV spectroscopy.
- Team player with ability to work under own initiative.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written skills.
- Writing and reviewing SOP.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills along with multi-tasking.
- Previous hands on experience with automation equipment is an advantage.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter to HR@calysta.com